Saturday, March 16, 2013

2013, The year of the Cheese!

Don't get mad. I know, I know.  It has been a while since I wrote about cheese making.  It has not been that I have completely stopped making cheese.  In fact this year I have a goal to make one cheese a month.  Now if I can just get in the habit of writing up a blog post afterwards.


January-
     In January I made a Parmesan in hopes to break it open for Christmas 2014.  I have made a parmesan before and so I hope this will be just as tasty.  I can not find the pictures I took but I will make sure to post some pictures on here when I open it up in 7 months.  I decided I need to make Parmesan more often then once a year since I hate waiting for so long before I get to try it.  Maybe I will try it again in April.


February-
     I made an English Cheddar. I have not made an official Cheddar yet.  Only Farmhouse cheddar.  I got the recipe off of Cheesemaking.com.  You can see the recipe here.  I hope I will get some good mold growth.  From reading the recipe and looking at other pictures I think it does look very rustic.   I could only find the pictures I took of bandaging it.



Here is a picture after a month of aging.  I have a little white mold, and a few specks of dark mold on it.  I hope it continues.  Not sure if I will cut it open in May when I parents come to visit.  I might wait longer.  We shall see how patient I am.

  
March
 I was looking for something new to make.   So I was looking through Ricki Carrol's book for something. I live in Kentcuky and the Kentucky  Derby was in three months so I thought to I should make it.  I know it has nothing to do with Kentucky and is an English Cheese.






Hope everyone enjoyed my pictures and sorry for not blogging much about the experience.  Hopefully April will be much better.

No comments: